How to Find a Reputable Real Estate Agent in Kiev
As an expatriate, finding a reputable real estate agent in Kiev can be a daunting task. Web-searches usually result in only short-term apartment rental agencies and those titled as a Kiev real estate agent often times lack information on their website – leading to skepticism, concern and questions about the transparency of the real estate agencies.
Here are 11sure fire tips to help you find a reputable real estate agent in Kiev.
1. Experience: Ensure the agent has at least a few years of experience in closing deals – deals that are directly in relation to the type of assistance you are in need of. Example: You need to find an apartment for sale in Kiev. The agent you meet has sold 30 apartments in Kiev in the last 5 years.
2. Open Houses: Even if you are not interested in that particular property, meeting an agent at an Open House is great way to find a quality agent; as well-experienced agents often times use Open Houses as a tool to find buyers for other properties.
3. Referral: Finding a reputable agent in Kiev a friend or family member has had good experience with is invaluable. Unbiased referrals should be heavily looked for.
4. Online Forum Referral: Find an online forum that has a community of expatriates residing in Kiev and post a topic: “Looking for a reputable real estate agent in Kiev. Any suggestions?”
5. Agents Free Time: Look for signs that the agent is busy. A good agent in Kiev is constantly looking for buyers, renters, property owners, preparing contracts and often times has little free time to maintain constant contact with a single client. If your real estate agent always picks up his or her phone, that is usually a good sign that he or she is not busy with meetings with clients, driving from one property to the next… you get the point.
6. Respect & Reputation: A seasoned agent networks and works cooperatively with other agents. These agents in Kiev know other agents in the area and have good/professional working relationships with them. Having these qualities in an real estate agent often times lead to fast and high quality transactions.
7. Where does Agent Live?: An agent that lives in KIEV will have their “finger on the pulse” so to speak. They will know every fine detail of the market in that particular region (district) and will be able to answer important questions about the community – schools, public transportation, restaurants, shopping centers, hospitals, etc.
8. Ask “test” Questions: A good agent in Kiev should be able to answer: “Can you recommend a service that can help in decorating my home, implement new construction and insuring my home?” “Where can I buy (a specific) furniture?”
9. Full Time of Part Time: You should always demand a real estate agent in Kiev that works as an agent FULL TIME. Part time agents are often scrambling to make a living at another job and usually offer poor real estate services.
10. Who is the Agent working for?: Ask your agent in Kiev who he or she is working for. If the agent is working for a Seller (property owner), the agent will almost always try to sell at the highest price possible as they work on commission. But if the agent is working for you, the Buyer or Renter, the agent will likely be more accommodating in price negotiations as they rely heavily on referrals. Good service to you, often times will translate into more business in the future. A smart real estate agent knows this well.
11. It is important that your Kiev Agent is knowledgeable: Ask questions about things you have learned through your new-found interest in Kiev real estate. If the real estate agent in Kiev doesn’t know more than you – after all, this is his/her livelihood! – go on to seasoned agent. Local knowledge is particularly critical; especially in city settings.
12. English: As an expatriate, if you do not speak Russian/Ukrainian, communicating with your Kiev real estate agent will be quite frustrating. Reading broken English in emails, inability to understand during phone calls; and most importantly, the real estate agent not understanding clearly of your intentions and needs will often times lead to headaches. There are not many, but there are some who speak very good English. One of whom is a real estate agent in Kiev and the founder of All Star Kiev Realty and Lora Kim Realty. Lora Kim specializes in luxury long-term apartment rentals and luxury property sales transactions in Kiev and has serviced many large corporations and very important foreign diplomats. She has also attended real estate courses at U.C.L.A. (University of California Los Angeles) and has travelled throughout the United States and is very familiar with Western customs and tastes.
Contact Lora Kim via email email@example.com or make a call +380 50 441 5979.